Each passenger is allowed 2 pieces of luggage, no larger than 23”x23”x37” and weighing no more than 50 lbs each, to be stowed in the luggage compartment. In addition, each passenger may bring one carry-on that fits at the seat or in the overhead bin. Do not leave your luggage unattended at any time in the terminals. Unattended luggage is subject to search and seizure. Please make sure you have an ID tag on each item. Passengers are encouraged to pack for one trip down the ramp to the dock. Catalina Express' liability for loss or damage to personal property shall be limited to $250 per adult ticket and $125 per child ticket. No Catalina Express liability will be assumed for articles carried at passenger's own risk.
A reservation agent at Catalina Express can answer your questions and if you have a special luggage request may forward you on to customer service for a solution. For Groups of 20 or more passengers and for camp groups contact a Group Service Representative at extension 4. Large freight or extraordinary freight is directed to Avalon Freight Services 310.221.6290.
Please see Baggage Guidelines before booking.
Baggage Guidelines Per Person
- Two pieces of baggage.
- 50 lbs. maximum each bag.
- 23”x23”x37” maximum bag dimension.
- One carry-on to be stowed at the seat.
Special Luggage Information
Please read this special baggage information before booking.
Accommodations for Scuba Divers Include: One additional equipment bag 23”x23”x37”; 50 lbs. maximum. And one recreational dive tank or one double with fixed manifold as well as one weight belt or weight bag which is carried on board or worn by passenger and is not inside the luggage. Returning suits that return wet are not an issue and will be permitted aboard.
Travel Tips For Divers
Accommodation for Campers Include: Campers will be allowed to transport a sleeping bag as an extra piece of luggage. Read travel tips regarding camp equipment, ice chests, stoves, carts and other typical camp items.
Travel Tips For Campers
Accommodation for Island Construction Workers include: Construction workers may transport the Medium Size Stanley Box, maximum 50 lbs. The largest size of Stanley or Husky Boxes are problematic, they must be under 50 lbs. and be able to be stored on their sides or up on end if necessary. Two-wheel dollies are acceptable. No four-wheel carts or wagons.
Travel Tips For Construction Workers
Baggage Requiring Advance Reservation
Bicycles, Jogger Strollers, Surfboards and SUPs: These items will be carried aboard on a space available basis as “additional articles” and will not count in the two-piece maximum. Surfboards and SUPs, up to 9’ in length are allowed on a space available basis. Electric bike must have a battery that can be detached during the trip over to Catalina. Storage is designated by crew. Protective packaging advised. Reservation recommended. $3.50 each way, per article.
The following articles may be carried on board at passengers own risk and liability for loss, damage or theft. Space available only. Baggage Waivers are required. Baggage waivers can be obtained at the ticket window or from a gate agent. Waivers releasing Catalina Express from any liability are required for all non-luggage items and animals. Protective packaging advised.
Non-luggage items include, but are not limited to: fishing poles (enclosed in carry case), golf clubs and bags, beach chairs, tool boxes, ice chests, two-wheel carts, strollers, surfboards, bikes, sleeping bags and tents.
- Equipment and Electronics: such as computers, audio/visual or related items can be carried at passenger’s own risk on a space available basis. Equipment must meet baggage allowances and will be stored in baggage compartment or crew designated areas.
- Music Instruments: and band related equipment can be carried at passenger’s own risk. Items must meet baggage allowances and will be stored in baggage compartment or crew designated areas.
- Animals: All animals must be leashed and secured in a full face commercial manufactured muzzle and/or Airline-style Pet Carrying case while in the boarding line and throughout the duration of the trip. One animal per passenger. Animals are to stay close to the owner on the deck, off of the seats and out of the aisles. Sufficient strong leash and collar are required. Pets are not permitted in the Commodore Lounge.
Catalina Express accommodates service animals as defined by the ADA and the Disabled Persons Act. Service Animals are defined by the ADA as: Dogs that are individually trained to do work of performed tasks for people with disabilities. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. Additional information on services animals is available upon request.
- Strollers: One fold-up stroller per infant/child may be brought on board and transported free of charge. It must fold and fit in the luggage compartment or crew designated area.
- Two-Wheeled Dollies & Four-Wheeled Collapsible Wagons: Standard two-wheeled dollies are acceptable to assist transporting luggage. Two bags can be placed on the two-wheel dolly, each bag may be no larger than 23’’ x 23’’ x 37’’ and weighing no more than 50 lbs. Total weight on the dolly cannot exceed 100 lbs. Collapsible wagons are permitted on board. The collapsible wagons must be empty, collapsed and stored in the designated storage area during the duration of the trip. Four-wheel dollies, four-wheel carts and fixed four-wheel wagons are not allowed on the vessel.
Tandem bicycles, adult tricycles, kayaks, four-wheel dollies, trash cans over 13 gallons, four-wheel carts and fixed four-wheel wagons are prohibited from transport. Acids, batteries, boxes (except those containing apparel or mechanic’s tools), camp stoves and lanterns (except electric or when propane or butane canisters are removed), charcoal, chinaware, human corpses, construction materials, cots, dangerous articles, explosives, firewood, fireworks, food stuffs, furniture, gambling devices, gasoline, glass or glassware, guns (loaded), household articles, inflammable materials, internal combustion engines of any kind, jewelry, kerosene, liquids, lumber, matches, merchandise, motorcycles, nails, outboard motors, perishable articles, paint, paint thinner, private papers or articles of extraordinary value, produce, televisions (except portable), tires, typewriters (except portable) and wire.
Due to the lithium ion batteries, hoverboards are prohibited to transport upon Catalina Express.
Limits of Liability
Catalina Express assumes no liability for damage or loss of any kind to ticket holder’s baggage or personal property resulting from inherent defects in the quality or nature of the personal baggage, insufficiency of identification, or any act or omission on the part of the ticket holder.
About the Catalina Express Baggage Guidelines
For the safety and security of passengers and crew weight limits are enforced for each piece of luggage. Each piece of luggage must be able to be moved quickly and safely in the case of any emergency. Each individual piece of luggage is to be no more than 50 lbs. The maximum dimensions are 23” x 23”x 37”. In addition, the weight and dimensions maximums have been determined to meet the size restrictions of all of the Catalina Express fleet which includes four monohull vessels that have conveyors for luggage storage. The Catalina Express service from three ports on the mainland and its frequent schedule requires flexibility in the use of its fleet. Thus, requirements in dimensions are universal.